1. Reminder: Our Spring All-Member Meeting will be held Thursday, May 23rd, 3:30 – 5:00 pm in Forum 309. The agenda will include:
- A report from our Bargaining Team
- Nominations for LCCEA officers
- Reports from our representatives on the Budget and Finance Subcommittee and from the Diversity Council and College Council to discuss a proposal currently under consideration to establish a policy and plan to create “diversity awareness education”* expectations and associated programs for all LCC employees (*exact name still under discussion)
- Reports on OEA actions and plans, including plans to pursue a state Ballot Measure in Fall 2014 that would significantly raise tax revenues for public education
- Statewide issues, including threats to establish a performance funding scheme for community college funding as well as a proposal that would allow college presidents to certify high school faculty to teach “College Now” courses, thus circumventing community college faculty authority
- Other current faculty issues and plans
Membership meetings are open to all LCCEA members. All members of the faculty — part-time and contracted — working .20 FTE or above are eligible for faculty union membership and strongly encouraged to enroll. If you are not an LCCEA member, please complete the attached membership form and send it to our Membership Secretary, Amy Gaudia (gaudiaa at lanecc.edu), or bring it with you to our membership meeting.
2. The LCCEA invites Part-time LCC faculty to a special membership meeting to discuss issues specifically impacting part-time instructors. In an effort to accommodate your busy schedules, there will be two meeting times: Tuesday, May 28 at 1:00 p.m. and Monday, June 3 at 3:30 (locations TBA). With bargaining under way and several issues affecting part-time faculty on the table, this will be a great opportunity to weigh in on the issues that matter to you and make sure that your concerns are represented in the proposals your Bargaining Team presents to the College. There will also be time to discuss matters that go beyond bargaining, learn more about your rights as union-represented faculty, ask questions about the contract, and find out about ways to support your union. Please send agenda items and any questions to Polina Kroik: kroikp (at) lanecc.edu .