LCC Faculty Colleagues,
Your LCCEA Bargaining Team reached agreement with the College on an MOA for Summer (linked below):
In addition to provisions already agreed as of our last update (below), we are happy to report that the MOA meets the strong interest of faculty in requiring the College to notify faculty if they have been in contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 on campus or at LCC activities, a practice that had not been in place unless the circumstances required contact tracing as determined by Lane County Public Health (e.g. close contact of less than 6’). See #22 on attached for details. The MOA also provides that social distancing and mask requirements shall continue for summer in accordance with whichever external guideline in effect is most protective (e.g. CDC, OHA, etc.)
Among other provisions on the MOA, LCC and LCCEA agreed as follows to:
- Extend additional CD (curriculum development) funding for part-time faculty who are teaching classes that they have not taught before in an online or hybrid format at the rate of 1.25 hours of CD compensation for every hour of instruction delivered asynchronously that would otherwise be face-to-face class time;
- Provide additional compensation for faculty members who teach extra hours to accommodate social distancing requirements at the rate of 1.25 times the hourly rate for every extra hour of instruction;
- Maintain numerous safety provisions for Summer;
- Require that managers make reasonable efforts to collaborate with faculty stakeholders in developing or amending department reopening plans ;
- Protect faculty from loss of pay if all sick leave has been exhausted and the faculty member becomes ill with COVID-19; and
- Ensure provision of hardware and software for online teaching to faculty who do not have the necessary equipment, among other provisions.
We appreciate the robust participation of faculty in the bargaining survey and your support in achieving this agreement. Please watch for more updates regarding negotiations over the impacts of the hyflex modality soon.
Your LCCEA Bargaining Team: