LCC Faculty Colleagues,
A brief update as COVID conditions, public health guidelines, and campus plans for Fall, continue to change —
External data and changing guidelines:
Please see a brief list of recent information reviewed by LCCEA, LCCEF, and the Covid Advisory Team.
- CDC recommendation that all wear masks indoors, including fully vaccinated, in areas of substantial or high transmission (See: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html )
- Lane County high transmission rate (See:https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view )
- Data on highly contagious nature of Delta variant (See: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/variants/delta-variant.html )
- Oregon data: one in five COVID cases in July were in vaccinated people; one in ten deaths in vaccinated people: https://www.opb.org/article/2021/08/07/covid-19-oregon-cases-delta-variant-vaccine-health-authority/ and OHA Breakthrough Report: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FzqDmjrZhXvqC538QhlzTe-fdomLme9W/view?usp=sharing
- Data on record number in ICU in Oregon as of yesterday: https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2021/08/oregons-coronavirus-icu-record-shattered-once-again-as-all-signs-point-to-out-of-control-5th-surge.html
Evolving Plans, Contradictory Messages, and Bargaining:
As reported last week, LCCEA and LCCEF made a joint proposal based on shared interests for the campus community with additional provisions specific to the needs of each group. LCCEA and LCCEF representatives met together with the College yesterday to discuss the joint proposal. The College provided a counter proposal by email this morning (see below), and the three parties will meet again tomorrow. More information will be forthcoming from your LCCEA Bargaining Team. Please do not hesitate to reach out to any one of us: Kelly Collins, Nancy Wood, Cynthia Campos, or myself.
In the meantime, the Lane Weekly sent to all campus members today includes a link to an “Operational Framework” for Fall created by the Administration without input from stakeholder groups.
Please note that the Administration’s Operational Framework does not align with current public health guidelines (e.g. social distancing for unvaccinated on college campuses, masks indoors for all).
Please also note that this “Operational Framework” does not align with the LCCEA/LCCEF joint proposal, nor does it align with the College’s own proposal sent earlier this morning. For instance, both the College and LCCEA-LCCEF joint proposal include a provision that ensures LCC will follow mask recommendations based on the most protective public health guidelines. In addition, the LCCEA-LCCEF joint proposal also includes a provision that social distancing be implemented in accordance with public health guidelines.
The COVID Infectious Disease Advisory Team (re-named Reopening Team) had its first meeting today shortly after the Administration’s “Operational Framework” was released. Without the opportunity to contribute to the “Operational Framework,” many committee members expressed confusion and concern that the purpose of the newly reconvened committee was to collaboratively develop the framework only to learn it had already been published.
The Committee approved a temporary suspension of non-essential, non-instructional meetings indoors and also agreed to a recommendation that all campus protocol align with public health guidelines, including masks indoors in Fall term consistent with CDC and OHA guidance. Ultimately, once the College and both unions reach agreement on an MOA for Fall, the provisions will be binding and will supersede any “operational framework” that is less protective. Your LCCEA representatives will provide updates as more information becomes available and as negotiations proceed.
Reminder — Flexible Workplace Arrangement Requests: Two Options
It is possible to request an ADA accommodation for remote work due to a faculty member’s own serious health condition, In addition, it is possible to request a flexible workplace arrangement due to concerns about household members, school/daycare issues, etc. Please see email from Sharon Daniel in HR to all LCC employees from May 11 at 5:24 p.m. (also below), which provides more details on the process and links to forms to make requests for remote work.