LCC Faculty Colleagues,
Your LCCEA Bargaining Team met with the College on November 18 for a brief discussion and again yesterday regarding the impacts of SB551, new legislation and funding for part-time faculty healthcare.
We are happy to report that the College did finally make a proposal (below) in good faith late on Thursday. While there are some items in the proposal that are not acceptable such as a provision that would require that some of the savings first pay for hypothetical insurance rate increases for all employee groups before provision of any savings for the benefit of faculty, the College proposal, overall, does represent a good first step toward agreement. For instance, the College did agree to LCCEA-proposed language for increasing PT faculty eligibility for insurance coverage and for increasing College contributions to insurance coverage for family members of PT faculty.
In turn, LCCEA presented an updated proposal (see below) yesterday. The current LCCEA proposal will:
- Meet college needs by providing 5% of savings for administrative implementation costs;
- Increase College contributions for part-time faculty selecting employee plus spouse/partner or children and full-family insurance to 90% and 95% of medical costs respectively;
- Modify eligibility language to ensure that PT faculty do not lose insurance only to qualify again during a subsequent term;
- Add one compensated day to the contracted faculty work year, restoring one of the remaining furlough days that had become permanent;
- Add twelve hours of inservice/ meeting/workshop compensation for part-time faculty (four for PT faculty working in Fall and eight for PT faculty working in Winter);
- Provide $40,000 to a fund for course curriculum development focused on on diversity, equity, and inclusion to be administered by Faculty Professional Development; and
- In order to meet student needs, dedicate all remaining savings to increase PT and/or FT faculty counseling staffing, which is direly needed and which was highly prioritized by faculty at-large in the LCCEA all faculty survey this month.
We currently have bargaining sessions scheduled twice per week for the next two weeks and look forward to reaching an agreement with the College in time to ensure that the full $500,000-$700,000 will indeed be received from the new state fund.
Your LCCEA Bargaining Team: